Method 3 – Battling Gyms
Our final method involves doing what Pokemon trainers do best, battle. Going out looking for trouble can earn you a fair amount of XP, and a well-timed Lucky Egg can make it double. Here’s how to do this method:
- All you need for this are a healthy supply of potions and revives. You’ll also need to target a gym and make sure it’s in a place where you can camp out for a little while.
- Make sure you choose a Gym that you can fight and win against. You won’t gain much XP if you’re losing all of your battles!
How to do the Gym Battling XP grind:
- Get to the gym and make sure all of your Pokemon are healed up and ready to go.
- Consume your Lucky Egg.
- Click on the Gym and then click on the button on the bottom right to start fighting.
- Keep fighting until the Lucky Egg runs dry, stopping only long enough to heal and revive your Pokemon when necessary.
This method has mixed results depending on a variety of things. If you can pick up 75-150XP per fight, and you can complete a fight every few minutes, then you’re looking at a couple thousand XP in 30 minutes. On top of that, you’ll likely take down the gym at some point, place your own Pokemon there, and then continue battling the gym to level it up. Thus, you get some decent XP and a well fortified Gym. It’s recommended to take a group of friends with you (on the same team, of course) so they can lay Pokemon on the Gym as it levels up to help defend it better.